Saturday, April 4, 2009

Who you gonna call?

The pack's all back! Even Benny our faithful mutt has a grin on his face. It just feels right to have Jim home after a 2 week absence. As we finished our GF waffles this morning, he and I got sucked into Facebook catching up on a new batch of our high school chums. Picture us in the zone, eyes squinting, fully absorbed in the glow of the screen. All of a sudden, Reid cried out in uncharacteristic maturity, "Mom, what are you doing?!" I looked up to see smoke billowing out from the sauce pan of maple syrup I'd left on the gas stove.

"Yikes! Good call, Reider." "You did the right thing to tell me." "You know what they say, where there's smoke there's fire." "That could have been dangerous." Reinforce, reinforce, reinforce. I did I tell you as I airlifted the blackened pot outside to the brick patio and instructed Reid to turn on the fan (whose noise he hates unless he flips the switch himself).


Are there any stranger events to celebrate, than the ones in which we rejoice? This was a good omen for future independent living ability; a sign of higher executive function; a reason to celebrate. I remember my similar elation the first time Reid got spooked to be separated from me at Target and called out, "Mom, where are you!" This morning marked a milestone. Who cares about the pot?

Several years ago Jim fell off a ladder while pruning trees. He was home alone with Reid at the time since Allie and I were walking the dog around the block. More alarming than getting the wind knocked out of him was the realization that Reid had not noticed his injury. Danger Will Robinson. Many times since we've wondered how to explain an emergency to Reid. Asked ourselves: does he know to get help? Could he describe what happened? Have we taught him about 911? All those "life skills" topics that aren't probably covered at school and don't arise often enough for repetitive teaching. Those critical skills required for independent adulthood.

After all the praise for doing the right thing this morning, Reid puffed out his adolescent chest and added, "we should call a plumber." Doh! Back to the curriculum to review those community helpers. It's all so confusing....police, firemen, AAA, plumbers. Who can keep it all straight?


Watch! Be alert! For you don't know when the time is [coming]. Mark 13:32-34

After the earthquake there was a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire there was a voice, a soft whisper.
1 Kings 19:11-13

Yet I call this to mind, and therefore I have hope: [Because of] the L
ORD's faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end. Lamentations 3:20-22

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for Reid! That IS such an important milestone. I appreciate the fact that we get to celebrate these types of events that would be completely lost on other families.

    And I love that he said you should call the plumber. Plumbers can fix anything... I think! 8)

    ReplyDelete