Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Bathroom or Bakery?

I can tell from his stride whether he's had a good day or bad.

Hii Mom! he projects stills 1000 feet away strutting his stuff.

I don't call back but do smile when he reaches the car door.

Can we go to Isabelle O'Briens. I have to use the restroom.

I burst out laughing, Are you kidding me?

I can think of 30 restrooms and 3 bakeries that were closer than Isabelle Briens.

You mean you want one of those almond croissants?

Why, yes I do, he said smirking with me.

He is nothing if not a connoisseur of musicals, soundtracks, and cinnamon rolls. A foodie after my own heart. Hers are the best, made of a legit French pate a choux rather than the heavy American pastry we settle for on Sundays from Panera. Don't even get me started on the almond croissants.

What could I say? Sure, let's go and I'll get some almond cakes for Dad. (Best gluten free pastry one could concoct.)

When do our kids learn that we will almost always say yes to a potty request? Toddlerhood? Grade school?

This is a new skill for Reid; call it theory of mind, manipulation, humor, or creative communication. Anyway you slice it, I'll take it.


“My dream went like this: I saw three wicker baskets on my head; the top basket had assorted pastries from the bakery... Genesis 40:15-17 



5 comments:

  1. Love the translation in the Message! Now I have another gluten-free option to try out for Michael. Thanks for sharing. Reid is definitely ahead of me on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Do they ship out of state?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they just might Sharon. check the website;) they freeze well too

      Delete
  3. I can answer your question about when our kids learn this skill....age 2...definitely age 2! They just get better and better at the execution of the request and optimizing their upside...at least the good "negotionators" do. ;)

    ReplyDelete