Thursday, April 3, 2014

Of lemons, limes and Reordering life

Let’s take a good look at the way we’re living and reorder our lives under God. Let’s lift our hearts and hands at one and the same time, praying to God in heaven: We’ve been contrary and willful, and you haven’t forgiven.  Lamentations 3:39-41

Reorder our lives...

Who would do this unless under duress?

I know I didn't. It wasn't until everything fell apart that I was willing to say what we were doing needed to be re-ordered. Only then could I see how contrary and willful I really was.
___________

Reid and I splurged last Saturday on lunch at California Pizza Kitchen. He got his usual cheese pizza, finished the word search on the kiddie menu, and was ready for the obligatory kid's sundae as he sucked on a lemon from my water glass.

Lemons are sour mom.

I know. They make you pucker.

Limes are too.

Yes, but you know they mix them with sugar to make key lime pie and that is yummy. I was fondling the  table tent that pictured their dessert offerings.

Key lime pie! They have key lime pie? I want that instead of my kiddie sundae.

Really? You're gonna change it up? He always gets the same thing. Here, at Sammy's, at Las Olas, everywhere. Everytime.

Yes, yes.

You're sure?

Yes I want the key lime pie instead.

Okay let me see if I can catch the waitress and re-order for you. Stay here.

I caught her mid-scoop, cancelled the kiddie sundae, and reordered. Then came the best part.

Mom, because I love you, you can have two bites.

Mmmmm...it was so much better--and bigger--than the boring old kiddie sundae he has always gotten.

____________


Reordering your life, marriage, and home takes a little longer. One spouse has to learn to submit and not do everything herself. The other has to lead after hours, not just at work. It takes practice; it spills and makes a mess; it's sticky and you fall into the old way without realizing it. 

But when it arrives, it's so much more delicious and satisfying than what you used to have. 

Let’s take a good look at the way we’re living and reorder our lives under God. Let’s lift our hearts and hands at one and the same time, praying to God in heaven: We’ve been contrary and willful, and you haven’t forgiven.  Lamentations 3:39-41

No comments:

Post a Comment