Sunday, April 6, 2014

Rebuke

Jesus’ refusal was curt: “Beat it, Satan!” He backed his rebuke with a third quotation from Deuteronomy: “Worship the Lord your God, and only him. Serve him with absolute single-heartedness.” Matthew 4:9-11 

Rebuke is definitely a Bible word, right? We don't use it commonly; nor do we do it. By definition to rebuke is "to express sharp, stern disapproval of." It's neither advisable nor politically correct to rebuke one's kids, neighbors, or congressmen.

Personally, I reserve my rebukes for the enemy. Even at that, I forget what an effective tool it is.  It took me most of today--the morning after an unpleasant episode--to realize what was required.

For me, the formula goes something like this: 

A difficulty + a disparaging word + my own discouraging voice = I'm down for the count (though I don't always know why).  

The disparaging word can be from someone in my inner circle or someone I barely know. That person may or may not intend to send me sailing in a sea of despair. On another day, their comment might not even register. But given the right circumstances, my thoughts start downward spiraling in agreement with their uninformed lies.

The enemy tried to get Jesus down. Remember His pattern of response? He did it three times in a row in the wilderness wielding a different Scripture as his sword of the Spirit each time. This is when Bible study pays off;)

Temptation (based on a lie) + Rebuke + Scriptural truth = Satan defeated

The taunts being dangled in front of me this time had to do with Reid's future. How did I get the monkey off my back?

My refusal was curt: “Beat it, Satan!” Then I backed my rebuke with a quotation from Jeremiah 29: "This is God’s Word on the subject: For I know the plans I have for Reid,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper him and not to harm him, plans to give him hope and a future."

Believe it. It works.

No comments:

Post a Comment