Friday, March 29, 2013

Have a Great Day Falcons!!!

This will be short and sweet...and multi-sensory!  How can I explain all that this 5 sec. recording represents?




Reid is 18.

When he was 5, I was a naive yet stubborn advocate for full inclusion. The look I got from the preschool administrator then was, "you've got no idea lady." I didn't. But I prayed for it.

When he was 7, we homeschooled. I corralled typical neighborhood kids to join us and paid facilitators to integrate them.  I tried to make it work.

When he was 9, we enrolled him at the local elementary school. I bought stacks of books for the teacher and told her how I thought it should be done.  I tried to control it.

When he was 10, I got flowers at an IEP (more like memorial) and they showed us the door. I stopped believing it was possible.

For 8 years, Reid spent varying lengths of time at 4 of our city's finest non-public special ed schools. Typical role models were noticeably absent. I forgot my previous prayers.

Last summer, in an odd turn of events, he matriculated into our local Torrey Pines High School, a California distinguished school, just 5 miles from home with many familiar faces and families we know.  

This morning, I dropped him off at the curb with a motley throng of quintessential American teens.  He walked by a table of donuts for sale, said hi to a girl he knew there, and headed up the ramp to meet his aide.  

I still stalk. At least long enough to record him capping off the morning announcements with flair. In unison...with other members of the school body.


Is there a prayer you once prayed that you've left for dead?  Pray it again. Timing is everything.



You don’t get to know the time. Timing is the Father’s business. Acts 1:6-8 

And likewise, all the prophets who have spoken, from Samuel and his successors onward, also announced these days.  Acts 3:23-25

If you wake me each morning with the sound of your loving voice, I’ll go to sleep each night trusting in you. Psalm 143:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment